Sunday, September 10, 2006

actual conversations


me: did you happen to notice what drinks were on the board for happy hour?
really nice but amazingly niave friend: yeah, they have a few kinds of cosmos.
me: oh yeah, i noticed that. do you remember what kinds? what are you getting?
really nice but amazingly niave friend: they had regular cosmos and a cosmo with something that i can't even pronounce that starts with a P. i've never heard of it, so i'm just getting a regular cosmo.

me (remembering what was on the board.): you mean pomegranate?

RNBANF: pomegranate? is that how you say it? what is a pomegranate? Have you ever heard of that? (asks friend)

RNBANF's Friend: it's a fruit, right? pomegranate fruit?

Me: seriously? you have never heard of pomegranate? you know, the really high in anti oxidant fruit that was also popular in greek mythology?
(now they just think i'm insane)
RNBANF: I guess i'm kind of sheltered, i've never heard of one. i'm just having a regular cosmo.


Then last week I was having dinner with same friend and her husband.
RNBANF: woah, they have greek salad here, i'm so excited. I just learned about greek salad last week.

me: what the fuck.

RNBANF: have you heard of it? it's so good, it's my new favorite thing.

me: how did you make it 25 years without knowing about greek salad?

RNBANF: I don't know, i guess i'm kind of sheltered.

RNBANF's husband comes over from playing pool: hey, are you having the greek salad? they have that here, exiting, huh? We just learned about them last week.

then I was at starbucks the other day:
me: can i have a triple grande latte with organic milk please?

barista: sure, that's $5.76 please.

me: thanks.

i go over to the side where they make the drinks and watch as the barista takes out soy milk and starts foaming it.
me: actually, i wanted organic milk.

barista: yeah, i'm using it.

me: that is soy milk you are using.

barista: (looks at me with deer in headlights face) wait, what's the difference?

me: seriously?

barista: i guess we don't have organic milk. hey David, where is the organic milk?
david: it's right there in the fridge next to the whole milk.
david comes over and points to the box of soy milk.
david: it's right here.
me: that's soy milk
david: isn't soy organic milk?

me: no, they are not the same thing at all. Soy isn't really good for you, i would rather have organic milk.

barista: yeah, we don't have organic milk right now i guess. but don't worry, we have soy.



2 Comments:

Blogger Valency said...

Hee hee hee... that is fabulous! I would have to brace myself to keep from snapping... I have a friend that mis-pronounces EVERYTHING and if I correct her she gets pissed... the latest mis-speak was DUVET promounced 'dove-ette' and I think she will stop being my friend soon if I don't stop.

Oh, and I have foster turtles because I work/volunteer for RGTTC and we rehome turtles. I have 3 permanent residence turtles in my backyard and that is enough for me right now......

9/10/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger dee goldie said...

first of all, "rehoming turtles" is the cutest thing i have ever heard of.

second, if someone said dove-ette in front of me i would probably slap them.

9/10/2006 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home