Friday, November 16, 2007

this is the last remaining picture of my family.


all my family photos, baby pictures, photos of my grandma as i was taking care of her before she passed, the only photos of my grandfather, and every single old photo of my parents when they were young and still married were in a box that was supposed to be shipped to me but instead was picked up by the salvation army.

they just called to tell me that yes, they had the box that was taped up and addressed to me, and they know exactly where it is. it was opened and incinerated due to the fact that there was nothing of use inside.

i know that photographs are just things and things come and go, but in one single moment, the entire history of my life was incinerated and i feel like someone died.

7 Comments:

Blogger Valency said...

Oh, god, woman - that makes me feel sick! How FUCKED UP. I am so sorry!

11/16/2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger dee goldie said...

i know. i can't think about it or i go insane and start eating xanax like candy. you'd think that the box sorters at salvation army would at least attempt to contact me...the box had all my information including address and telephone number on it. but whatever...anyway...where is my xanax?

11/17/2007 6:18 PM  
Blogger Osbasso said...

Oh, man. It's one thing to lose them in a disaster or something, but this is gut-wrenching... What a wake-up call for the rest of us. I have no words for you.

11/20/2007 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so sad...i'll go dig up any pictures i have of you. i know its not the same as your family, but geez, how are you gonna live without pics of me?

11/21/2007 5:18 AM  
Blogger hotdog water said...

Poor poodle.

11/22/2007 9:33 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

holy shit. is that even legal? who would do something like that? wow. destroying pictures and memories and pieces of people's lives is wrong in sooo many ways.

11/24/2007 8:49 PM  
Blogger hotdog water said...

And also, incinerated?!? Since when is Salvation Army the memory crematorium? do they have an INCINERATION CHAMBER or just a garbage can out back they set fire to every once in a while?

11/27/2007 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home